TV Commercial’s are, as the adage goes- THE HIDDEN PERSUADERS, THE IMAGE MAKERS, THE BENEVOLENT DICTATORS. This, of course, speaks for what TVC can do wonders for your brand.
The 5 Point Formula To Test Effectictiveness Of Tvc’s
Effectiveness of every ad medium- an ad or hoarding or TVC is tested by a 5-point formula- A-I-D-C-A.
–A-Stands for Attention– Does it attract and hold the attention of the viewer.
–I-Stands for Interest, Intrigue– One of them or both should do the trick around the ad, brand
–D-Stands for Desire– Does it evoke the desire to try, feel, own a brand that is in the ad
–A-Stands for Action– Okay the ad is interesting- yet does it make you ACT and buy your product/service.
Well, that’s how you can test any TVC, its idea for its effectiveness. The first three pointers, or one or two of them should be strong- they further lead to the next two pointers- the desire and the action. Finally, the TRP rating, the number of views and ultimately the conversion of inquiring, walk-ins, footfalls then speak for your ringing cash register and –ROI.
How To Make Effective Tvc’s
The art of making effective TVC’s has evolved over a period of 30 years. They can be of 20-30 sec to 50 sec. duration.
No Brief- No Relevance
An aptly made TVC is based on the brief about the brand, its marketing objectives, and the target group, TG, its psychographics, incomes, buying behaviour.
The Storytelling Drives The Message Home
Mainly it should have a unique, new idea and the story around the brand- the story with a slice of life- like a 30-sec feature film with positive climax- yet around the brand. Of course, it should give a joy of life to the viewer unlike tragic, depressing art films, with exceptions, of course]. While it tells the story, it should emphasize the brand usage, benefits.
All the TVC’s you have liked have an idea and interesting storytelling e.g. Tanishqa, Fevicol, Axe effect, LIC, Cadburies, PayTM.
The Same Effect Is For Any Segment Tvc’s
Even for a TVC for a technical product, industrial, agricultural, finance, medical, pharmaceutical TVC – The same principles apply.
The Feel Good Look
The live shoot TVC’S should have fresh, pleasant, joyous faces, yet they should look like next-door people like the NESCAFE ad. Also the houses, gardens, locations should be feel good aspiring look. Rin, Surf Excel may be used in all income groups , yet the look of the ad is aspiration group.
The Power Of Simplicity
If the ad contains Infographics, Animation it should boast the power of simplicity to explain like traffic signs- to take the point further even a child in KG should understand them.
The Visual Feast And Power Words- That Appeal
Remember TVC is a visual medium- so interesting visuals take the first place- remember the Cadbury ad- where the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law dance together and the closing line says – ‘BADHATI DOSTIKE NAM KUCH MEETHA HO JAYE’. Imagine the idea so interestingly telling about chocolate. In short, please don’t bore the audience with too much text or narration. The words/script should be simple, short and without any fog, verbosity.- like the closing line of BJP campaign-‘ ABKI BAR MODI SARKAR’-only 4 words.
The Music Has To Sing In The Rain
Music can be apt, yet going with the mood of the ad- Indian, traditional, western or such.
Opening And Closing- As Important
The opening and the closing of the TVC- The AD Guru David Ogilvy says that the first three seconds of the TVC should grab the attention of the viewer- or he is ready with the mouse or TV remote to go somewhere else.
Hence the opening has to have the new, attention-seeking visual/script/music or combination of all. The closing has to re emphasize, the sales statement around the brand- can be with the tagline.
Test The Ad Before
Test, test, test the ad, its connectivity with the TG- Target Group.
World-famous agency Satchi tested a packaging and TVC for a children’s product by making three groups of children and found finally what is more appealing to them.
How Creative Splash Can Give You Optimum Media Milege For Your Tvc
Gone are the days of ads only in Cinema Halls and DD- now its the galore of channels, internet- digital- mobile media, multiplexes and more. Hence your TVC can have segment-wise- marketwise penetration.
- TVC can be on the placed on channels and episodes/shows positioned corresponding to the TG- For instance Arrow shirt ad, Raymond ads can be on HBO. The same logic applies to washing machines , woman’s products- which can be around their shows
- The new age effective vehicle is it can be on your website, BlogSpot.
- The next digital media is YOUTUBE– where you can put the ad ahead of other videos by applying the same logic of TV channels viz-a-viz TG
- The other outdoor media vehicles are Cinema /Multiplexes, Airports, Malls/video hoardings/whats app ads.
The Research-Based Way Of Creative Splash To Make High-Effect Tvcs
- Extensive briefing- This includes your brand benefits, differentiators. The next detail is Target group details- your target geographics, audience gender, age, income, psychographics and finally reasons to purchase and their buying behaviour. The timeline is also worked out- like the sale of washing machines is highest in Monsoon.
- The next is our creative team develops a strategic view to promote the brand and the story of TV Commercial. The competitors are also studied.
- Then the storyboard is developed that illustrates the frames of TVC like a comic book along with the script.
- Your views are of course discussed in the above since you are the manufacturer/marketer of the brand. We don’t pose here as prima donna- yet as subject experts.
- Once the final version is made, the media positioning is made and the TVC is released in respective media vehicles- TV/Web, Outdoor.